Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I’ve Forgotten How to Run – Vanessa


This is a huge problem. The taper is messing with my head! For those of you non-marathoners out there, let me explain. A taper is supposed to be a beautiful one to two week window before the big event during which you decrease your mileage. Long runs get shorter and short runs become less frequent. The idea is to give your body and brain a chance to recover, rejuvenate and, in my case, freak the freak out.

I thought the taper would feel good on my legs, give me time to catch up on my severely neglected social life (and TV schedule) and get excited for the marathon. I thought WRONG. I feel out of practice and out of touch. I can feel all the mental and physical work I’ve done unraveling every time I stop at four miles. Suddenly the thought of adding another 22.6 on to that jog sounds impossible and crazy. I have dreams that I get to the starting line and cannot for the life of me figure out how to put one foot in front of the other – Dream Vanessa ends up flopping around on the ground while the rest of the runners step over her pathetic body, literally leaving her in a cloud of dust…Tapering is the devil.

Thankfully, I still have a week to refocus and change my perception. I’m going to try my darndest to think positive thoughts, let my legs relax and visualize myself flying to the finish line instead of writhing in the dust. Here goes nothing! Send happy, speedy running vibes my way, please!

No comments: