Thursday, April 11, 2013

What Ifs – Kellie

“Only four days left until THE BOSTON MARATHON! No time left to train! My son has strep throat! What if I get strep throat? I should have done more hill repeats! I should have pushed myself to run when I was snowed in! What am I going to wear?! What if my alarm clock fails?! What if I forget my runner's passport and I can't get my number?! What if I just give myself so much anxiety and self doubt that I just pass out before I even get to the start?! What if I have to go to the bathroom and there aren't any bathrooms!!!? What if?!” These thoughts have been creeping into my brain, but for the most part, I've been able to shut down those negative thoughts.

At this moment I'm not nervous at all. Although, the fact that I feel so relaxed is making me nervous. I've almost convinced myself that there's nothing to be anxious about. I've trained plenty. Sure I could have done more, trained harder but I also didn't want this to consume me to the point that I'd hate training for it. I think I found just the right balance for me in my training. I worked hard and rested after the extra hard runs. Most importantly, I didn't injure myself. All I have to do is go five miles farther than my longest run. I should be able to manage that.

I won't be fast but I'm not in a hurry. I want to enjoy every step of the way and take in every mile. I can hardly wait to meet the Boston Marathon and hear the best marathon crowd out there. It looks like Mother Nature will be on our side this year and I am ready.

A big thank you to everyone who's given me encouragement, support and listened to me obsess about the marathon for the past four months. See you next week!

No comments: