Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Dreamland – Aubrey


I am happy to report that after last week’s IT Band fiasco, I am back in the saddle! Taking the week off, although terrifying, was the best thing I could have done. But as soon as I got home on Tuesday, it was all I could do not to trip over myself as I laced up my Asics and ran out the door. It was like seeing an old friend after years of separation. I felt alive again.

Tuesday’s run is always short to ease into the training week. With only four miles to do that night, I wanted to make the most of it. I wanted to soak in the sunny evening, feel the biting air on my face and celebrate every pain-free strike. I chose to run a very familiar loop around my East Boston neighborhood, heading over both the Chelsea St. Bridge and the Meridian St. Bridge before ending with the steep hills around our condo. Although I set out to take in the beautiful evening and the colorful sunset, I somehow missed all of it. I was so in the zone that I barely remember how I got home when I landed on my stoop. Talk about a trance state, I’ve never experienced one quite like this. I didn’t even realize that my music had stopped with over a mile to go.

Despite the weirdness, the good news is that I got home, stretched out and remained pain free for the rest of the evening. Even better, I did an eight-mile sprint workout the next day with ease. With my knee injury behind me and sunnier days ahead of us, I’m looking forward to more after-work runs. I enjoy the quiet time even when I don’t remember it.

No comments: