Thursday, April 17, 2014

Almost to the Finish Line – Aubrey

“Strength does not come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you thought you couldn’t.” – Rikki Rogers

The Marathon is now less than a week away. I’ve been enjoying my taper period despite the change in routine and minor bouts of anxiety. I’ve really learned to enjoy my short runs –I can now appreciate the scenery and spend some time reflecting. Despite my months of training, I still feel anxious when I think about race day. Every time I lace up my Asics, I get a twinge of doubt – Is this crazy? Can I do this? Am I ready? That voice in my head, although sometimes a source of anxiety, is also a voice of reason. Immediately my doubt is squashed by even stronger feelings of accomplishment and strength. Can I do this...Yes! You ran 20 miles last weekend! 6 miles is nothing! Am I ready...Of course you are!  You followed your regimen and are more than prepared. With only four days left, there is no time left to train nor is there any time to worry. I know come race day that although I may feel nervous, I’m mostly excited. I’ve convinced myself at this point that there’s nothing to be anxious about. I’ve trained for weeks, I’m eating and hydrating properly, and most of all, I’m taking the time to soak up the experience. Half the fun of running a marathon is preparing for it. I’ve been able to learn so much about myself during this process – I’ve overcome injuries, pushed my body to the limit and powered up monster hills. I have found both a physical strength and inner strength that I never knew I had. I am so grateful to have experienced that. Finishing Boston is just the cherry on top!

I’m glad that I am taking the rest I need before Monday, and that I’ve found that right balance of preparation and relaxation. Train hard but rest hard too – that’s my new motto! That way I’m injury free and well-rested come race day. I know I won’t be fast, but I’m not trying to win. In fact, I don’t even want to hurry through it. I want to wave to friends along the course, take pictures at notable race sites and enjoy the experience. I’m completely overwhelmed by emotion when I think about what it means to run Boston. I’ve come so far, and I’m so honored to be wearing Newton-Wellesley on my jersey. I’m incredibly proud to represent this organization and everything it stands for. Thank you to all of my family, friends and colleagues who have supported me through this incredible experience. I could not have managed this without your encouragement. You’ll all be in my heart on race day. See you at the finish line!

No comments: