Thursday, February 5, 2015

Making it Official: The Quest for Boston 2015 – Dave


I've done some pretty silly races in the last few years. Just two years ago I ran my first half in Disney World. In the 24 months since, I've run some 40 races, including across the state of Kentucky in the Bourbon Chase with 11 other crazy people, across Cape Cod with 11 other crazy people, my first marathon in New York in 2013 and, just a month ago, a return to Disney to not only run the half again, but a full marathon, 5k and 10k all in the same Dopey weekend.I started running because being back in Boston as an adult (years removed from a college along the Marathon route), you realize you need to push to keep in shape, but also because there is a culture about it. I've loved the people I've met learning to run and train for all these races.

I'm running Boston because it's been a part of who I am since I was a kid. Whether it was that spring break when we'd watch as the race began, my years in college cheering on runners from Heartbreak Hill and down Comm Ave or the years since when it has become such an important part of our city. I ran New York in 2013 for Boston - my own response to what happened earlier that year - and I did it for a charity dedicated to research in men's health and cancer.

It is an honor to take on Boston for such an enormous cause again, and I'm truly proud to represent Newton-Wellesley Hospital and the Vernon Cancer.

No comments: