Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Never Looking Back – Ivan

My name is Ivan, I am 34 years old and I love to run. I have been running since 2007. Before this I used to only cycle, then in 2006 I was hit by a car and shattered my hip. I was told that I was not going to be able to run nor would I be able to walk without the assistance of a cane. It would be six months to start weight bearing. But I wasn’t going to let this injury take over my life. So after a year of figuring things out, I registered to participate in a 70.3 Ironman race. I fell in love with endurance sports and have never looked back. I have participated in half Iron distance races, half marathons and a full marathon.

I am running the Boston Marathon to inspire all those around me, to keep them motivated and show them that anything is possible. Along the way I hope I can help people in need. I am also running to help support the Vernon Cancer Center. The 2013 will be my second marathon ever. I also participated in the 2012 Boston Marathon.

As a father of two young beautiful children, husband and restaurant manager, it gets complicated to be able to commit to my training, so I have to manage my time incredibly tight. I don’t have a lot of free time but every little that I do, I try to be with my family. For the most part my training doesn’t affect my life, it actually makes it better. My daughter, now 5, wants to train with me and I am giving a great example to her and others as well.

It is my hope that I can get the mileage in a safe manner and not miss too many workouts. I worry that my nutrition is going to be off. On race day I want to have done all that I can to get me to the finish line.

No comments: