Thursday, January 31, 2013

Overwhelmed by Kindness – Kellie

This past week was a good week. I ran the Derry 16 miler and improved on my time from last year. This race is still the longest distance I've accomplished. I now know I can make it from Hopkinton to Newton-Wellesley Hospital. Being a newbie marathoner, I'm relieved to have a good base to work from. It's also a comfort knowing those 16 miles were hillier and colder than the first 16 miles of the marathon will be. I ran into Radiology marathon running legend Freddy Sanchez at mile five. It was great to see him. He gave me some encouraging words and was there waiting for me at the finish. I have a lot of work ahead of me but I'm more hopeful than ever that I can do this.

Originally I was more intimidated by the fundraising portion of being on team Newton-Wellesley than I was of the marathon itself. I'm overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of the Radiology Department as well as everyone in Maternal Fetal Medicine. All I did was bribe them with candy and snacks, and they met my goal within a week. More importantly than my personal goal in fundraising is that this will go to a very worthy cause. I can't imagine what it must be like to not only have to fight cancer, but to keep up with all other life responsibilities. The Integrated Support Services at the Vernon Cancer Center work to make life as normal as possible for patients and families going through this long battle. I can't thank everyone enough. Although I've been asked to stop bringing in candy because they are tempted to eat it ;) I may have to think of another form of bribery.

No comments: