Tuesday, January 22, 2013

In the Moment – Laura

I get the email from Juanita Trigilio that my number was selected in the raffle to gain entry as a charity runner in the Boston Marathon this year. I’m in! I am euphoric. Ironically, I have an annual follow up in two days that will confirm whether or not I am still cancer free. Either way, I will still be running in this marathon.

There will be no training plans, gadgets or running logs. I will use the marathon to become completely aware of my body and how I am feeling. I will run the distance that feels right at the pace that feels right. This exercise will help me to achieve better self awareness, which will result in the ability to optimize my potential in all things. I am looking forward to a structure-free marathon training schedule.

You shall ”run and not grow weary.” (Isaiah 40) has always been one of my favorite verses. It defines the goal I have for this marathon: to be completely in the moment, free from physical pain and rely on my faith and the physical body I was blessed with to make this a reality. I will search for themes that translate from training to life.

The pleasure of starting to run on a regular basis is exquisite. I run three miles the first day, then six the following day, then four the next. The sensation of taking a deep breath free from any pain or discomfort evokes gratitude with each breath. I mentally thank the surgeon who made this possible. One feels gratitude most if something that has been taken away is then returned.

No comments: