Thursday, February 17, 2011

Running With the Running Club – Jenna

Running with the L Street running club was the best decision I made regarding my marathon training so far. It has made planning my long runs less stressful and more enjoyable. Each weekend they set a new route for the marathon training program long run, and you can choose to do some or all of it – they leave the decision up to you. They email out directions the week before that you can print out and take with you to navigate along the route, although there are usually so many volunteers along the route to help you find your way and make sure you’re okay, you don't even need them.

The running, snack and first aid stops along the way help ease your mind about remembering everything you need to take with you. The volunteers cheer you on, ask how you’re doing and will assist you if ever you needed to turn back or were hurt. Whether a seasoned marathoner or a novice like me, everyone is so welcoming and interested in what and how you’re doing. This past weekend I met a nice woman from Quincy who I ran with the last few miles as we chatted and cheered each other on (especially as we ran single file along Morrissey Blvd – not the safest street in Boston to be on foot).

My goals for this week are to get my running sneaks re-evaluated and possible have some arch supports put it, as I am suffering a bit from some shin soreness. Icing and stretching this week will also be a priority. I will be away in VT this weekend with my fiancé’s family, and will be doing my long run up there. I am looking forward to the change in scenery.

No comments: