Thursday, February 2, 2012

No Time Like the Present - Kirsty

I have been running off and on for more than 20 years. In high school and college I was a serious athlete competing for my country (Great Britain at the time!) in rowing. I did some running at the time as part of my training but have never been a natural runner. But 20 years and two children later I mainly exercise for fun and enjoy jogging just to get outside and get some exercise. I love a challenge and still have a competitive side and running a marathon has been on my list of lifetime goals for a few years now. I turn 40 this year so figured there was no time like the present!

My husband has done a few marathons, including Boston twice, but the furthest I have run before is a half marathon (in Scotland many years ago) and a few 5ks and 10ks here and there. I will certainly not be breaking any speed records and my main goal is to cross the finish line on two feet! I've been working out with Daniel Destin at the Shipley Fitness Center for a while so when I found out I had a number we reviewed a few training plans and picked a beginner marathon schedule that calls for four days of running with a long run on Sunday. I'm going to try to cross train the other days as well. Fitting in the runs with two young children (ages 1 and 6) is the biggest challenge and I may do a couple of the long runs with my husband for some company along the way. I plan on getting up and out early in the morning for most of my runs as it's my favorite time of day and too many obstacles come up once the day gets started. I'm just hoping the mornings get a little lighter sooner!

My biggest concerns for the Marathon are staying healthy (I managed to start week one of training with a nasty virus I picked up from my children but still got my runs in) and injury free. I am lucky enough to live in Wellesley, just a few minutes from the Marathon route so hope to get some runs in on the route and also the Crosstown Trail, which is a much softer surface and a little easier on the joints!

No comments: