Thursday, March 11, 2010

Any Long Run Ideas? - Andrew

The weather was amazing! It was slightly cool on Saturday morning, March 7, but perfect for a long run. I started at 10:00 am at Alewife Station and ran along the minuteman bikeway through Arlington, Lexington and ending in Bedford. I ran out to the end of the pathway and back, a total of 20 miles! I am not sure I will run another 20 miler before the marathon, but now I know what it feels like. I struggled the last couple of miles, but managed to finish. I was very sore afterward and in desperate need of a massage, which I never got. The best part of the run was the sunshine and the smell of pines trees along the trail. There were lots of people out on the path enjoying the weather. Unfortunately, I lost my running gloves and favorite running cap somewhere along the trail. I had wedged it under my fuel belt, and at some point it fell out. Aside from that, it was a good training day.

Yesterday I ran home from Newton-Wellesley Hospital. What a great run! It was cool again, but the sun was still out. It was a total of eight miles and I did it under an hour! What surprised me is that I had not run since last Saturday, when I did my long run. I started running along Washington Street and then turned right at Comm Ave. I ran along Commonwealth Avenue, up heartbreak hill, and then turned right just past Boston College. I headed down to the Chestnut Hill Reservoir, looped the reservoir, and then down Lake Street back home. I felt pretty good afterwards, unlike after my run on Saturday. I will probably run again today, take Friday off and then another long run on Saturday. Any ideas on where I should do my long run this Saturday? So far, I have run a different course for each long run every Saturday.

No comments: