Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It’s About the Experience – Donna

I've finally shaken the cold, the family is healthy and everyone has fallen back into our daily routine. I underestimated how not running for two weeks would affect my training. I started running again this past Sunday and the first day out was a struggle. I planned to do an easy five miler with a friend and ended up only running four and walking the rest. It was an eye opener and for the first time I started to doubt if I could do the marathon. After getting a pep talk from a few friends I reminded myself why I was doing it in the first place, it was never about the time but the experience. So I just need to focus on putting one foot in front of the other until I cross the finish line. Over the next couple of days the runs have become easier and I'm slowly getting the mileage back up.

I am not a morning person and most of my running is done in the evening after my children have been tucked into bed, but I thought I would try and get a long run in on Saturday morning before the weekend gets too busy. After reviewing the weather forecast, this Saturday's run looks like it's going to be a long, wet and windy one. I'll take the rainy training runs in hopes that the weather will be sunny and cool for marathon day.

No comments: