Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Long Run Postponed - Maureen

So on the advice of a few seasoned marathoners, I decided to postpone my last long run of 18-20 miles to this Saturday instead of running it this past weekend when many others did. I really want to get one good, long run under my belt so if it means an extra week's rest for my hip and knee, so be it! Two-plus weeks will still be a decent amount of tapering time for me, I think. I replaced my long run this weekend with intervals on the track, 6x800, at 5K pace. I was aware of my knee throughout, but my pace remained strong. I have short runs planned for today and Thursday. I'm hoping I continue to feel good before Saturday's adventure!

I was doing a little internet surfing about what to expect the day of and found a couple of things that I'm totally going to do...

"Write your name on your shirt or wear something unique. Hearing your name and the cheers makes a huge difference." – I definitely plan on making a race shirt that says "Go Moe!"... I'll need all the encouragement I can get!

and...

"High-five at least one kid every mile. Tons of kids and people line the streets of the course. This will help keep things in perspective whether you are having the race of your life or you are crawling to the finish." – This piece of advice made me smile. Even if I don't actually high-five a kid at every mile, I'll definitely make sure to get to a few!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

For your "Go Mo" on your shirt, if you have an ink-jet printer, go to www.epson.com and buy their iron on paper #S041153. Cost around $13 and they ship to arrive in about 4 days. Then just do a Word doc with the biggest font. Even works on Nike dri-fit tech fabric. My shirt says Go Jay and also has small logos of Wellesley and BC. On that knee and hip: Ice, Advil, Biofreeze, stretching, and avoid hills. Have a great Marathon! Jay #13783

mlydon said...

Hi Jay, great suggestion for the paper... thanks! Good luck to you! :)