Monday, March 22, 2010

A Little Longer Than Planned! – Donna

For those of you who know me well, you can agree that I have no sense of direction. I have lived in Newton over nine years and still get lost driving around. I find it funny that I have a GPS and it's still an adventure when you ride with me! I started out Sunday late in the day around 5:00 pm for what was planned to be a simple 10-mile loop on the marathon route and ended up doing a total of 14 miles.

The day was beautiful and I tried out my new running shades. Feeling rested with the sun on my face and enjoying not wearing all the layers I started what would be a simple loop. A little over an hour and a half into the run I realized I must have missed my five-mile turn around marker. I'm finding the longer runs to be more and more difficult to do alone. Usually I enjoy the peacefulness of running alone, but after five miles my body and mind begin the internal struggle. My legs start to ache and the battle begins. For the next several miles I play the game of telling myself "just get to marker X and then you can walk". Once I arrive at the marker I convince myself that it wasn't so bad, that I can run to the next marker, and so on until I've completed the mileage I had set out to do.

I'm planning on attending a marathon workshop later this evening, hopefully I will pick up a few tips to help me get to the finish line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See that way you ran longer! Probably good for your lost time last month :) Hey keep going & keep running. It sure must be a mental thing too, I think you know you are strong, just keep telling yourself that every time you run! Rooting for you!
Priya, HCQ